It’s that time of year when good cheer is spread everywhere except in packed store aisles where shoppers’ carts recklessly crash into each other while racing around in search of those hard-to-find Christmas gifts. It follows then, that it must be time for my wife (see hers here) and me to bust out or annual Christmas meme. Feel free to use it; we’d love to see your answers.
1. What’s the best Christmas gift you have ever received? What’s the worst?
It’s difficult to pinpoint the best. I probably answered differently last year, but I’ll go with the electric train set I received as a child. It was circling the Christmas tree when I woke up.
The worst I received was while working at Goodwill. I “won” a freaking canned ham in a raffle there. It was disgusting to look at. I didn’t venture a taste.
2. What is your favorite Christmas movie moment?
3. What is your favorite version of a Christmas song?
I’ll Be Home for Christmas by Frank Sinatra. My late father, who was a prisoner of war during WWII, once told me this was his favorite Christmas song (not necessarily the Sinatra version) because of his time during the war. That always stuck with me.
4. Describe an ornament that has special significance to you.
My ravishing wife gave this one to me. The sign says, “I burn 4 U.”
5. Have you had any traumatic Christmas-related experiences?
Just the one with the aforementioned canned ham. I swear that thing was alive.
6. What is your happiest Christmas memory?
This year, just a few days ago, when my 3-year-old daughter sat in Santa’s lap for the first time and had the biggest smile on her face. She asked for a “Pink girl tractor” to drive. I also remember, as a small child, lying under our Christmas tree and watching the cool patterns the blinking lights made on our ceiling.
7. Favorite Christmas picture:
This one from many years ago because it shows a bunch of my family. Most importantly, though, it shows my nephew being a HUGE baby when everyone else is having a blast. What a tool. See his blog here.
8. What’s on your grown up wish list (other than world peace, of course)?
Just to keep getting to be around this beauty:
9. What Christmas TV special do you look forward to all year?
The Year Without a Santa Claus because of the Heat Miser and Snow Miser. I’m looking forward to their new special, called A Miser Brothers Christmas on ABC Family.
10. What famous person would you most like to encounter under the mistletoe?
I’ll go with Brooke Burke.
11. What’s the best thing to do in the snow?
I always thought it was cool to build a sort of igloo out of it, dig a couple of tunnels and then make my poor cat go in it with me. I don’t have a pic of him in an igloo, but here he is in a happier place, resting on top of one of my other nephews.
12. Favorite Christmas Quote:
I will honor Christmas in my heart and try to keep it all the year. – Charles Dickens.