My wife and I created a Valentine’s Survey. Use it if you’d like. We’d love to see your answers!
1. Describe your favorite romantic/love scene from a movie.
I’ll go with Kate Beckinsale and John Cusack in Serendipity. They spend a long time looking for each other and finally get to kiss outside amongst falling snowflakes when they connect. (There is always that Phoebe Cates scene in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, but I’m going for “romantic” here.) I’ll give a runner-up prize to the band chick and the dork in American Pie. You can’t beat her taking charge and ordering him to “Say my name, bitch!”
2. What was your worst Valentine’s Day experience?
Hmm, probably a first date with someone I thought I might like that I worked with. However, she turned out to be kind of scary needy. She had set up a hotel room for the night, but it was shared with her friend. When we got there, her friend and a guy were making out on one bed. My date went into the bathroom and came out in lingerie. OK, for the guys reading this, I’m sure you’re thinking, “where’s the bad part?” I’m telling you, there was nothing “hot” about this as she was very immature and annoying. I found some excuse to get out of there after awhile. I remember her saying, “I blew it, didn’t I?” which made me feel bad.
3. What is your favorite restaurant for a Valentine’s dinner out?
One in my hometown called The Cork and Cleaver. It’s intimate and has great steaks.
4. List a hot/romantic line from a song that you like.
Even though I’m mostly a rock guy, I like this one from an old Sinatra standard:
Who Cares to define, what chemistry this is, who cares with your lips on mine, how ignorant bliss is….so long as you kiss me, and the world around us shatters, how little it matters, how little we know.
5. What is the cheesiest aspect of Valentine’s Day?
The Valentine’s cards that say things like, “You’re my every heart beat.” Just once, I’d like to see one that says, “You really help with my digestion, honey.”
6. Did you have any elementary school traditions for Valentine’s Day?
We passed out Valentines to each other. I think we included candy. I hope we did. It was a Catholic School so we probably went to mass as well!
7. What fictional character do you have a crush on and why?
The original Charlie’s Angels. When I was a kid, I could barely handle it when it came on. I think my parents tried to keep it from me, but we all have our ways! I actually liked Jaclyn the best.
8. How old were you when you had your first, real kiss? Was it good or bad?
6th grade. It was pretty good!
9. Describe the most uncomfortable crush someone has had on you.
High School. I had a lot of phone calls from a girl who always said she needed help on a homework problem. The phone calls would last forever, with me saying very little. I recall literally being able to set the phone down to go get a drink, and she would still be blabbing when I picked the phone back up. I should have been more assertive.
10. How long did your first heartbreak last?
First time I felt “heartbroken” was back in elementary school so I don’t think it lasted more than a day.
11. Do you prefer to give/receive: a) jewelry b) chocolate c) lingerie d) tools
I like giving a, b and c.
12. If you are male, do you prefer Mary Ann or Ginger? If you are female, do you prefer McDreamy or McSteamy?
13. Would you rather be broken up with by: a) phone b) text message c) in person d) email e) carrier pigeon
Carrier pigeon. I’d have to give the chick credit if that happened. (Plus, you could get dumped and dumped on by the bird…that’s like killing two birds with one stone. Sorry, couldn’t resist.)
14. What is your favorite Valentine’s Day candy?
Peanut M&M’s (any color, even Valentine-colored.)